Preparing for Winter Weather
Communication with families
It is important for families to know how the district will communicate our when a school day is impacted by a closure or a delay due to weather.
- District autodial call: This automated call will go to each family and staff member in the district. It is critical that families have their updated phone number in Skyward. You can also manage your account to receive texts and emails.
- District Facebook: Twitter and Instagram. Are you following us?
- District website:
- FlashAlerts: FlashAlerts will send you a text or email. You can subscribe to FlashAlerts here.
How will we make our decision to delay or close schools?
Road conditions across the district vary greatly and we make our decision to delay or close school based on our ability to drive buses safety across all parts of the district. The Superintendent and Transportation staff begin monitoring roads at 3 a.m. The Superintendent weighs all input from our staff and ultimately makes the decision to delay or close schools.
When will we make our decision to delay or close schools?
If possible, we prefer to make the decision to delay or close schools the night before so that families can make alternate arrangements. Sometimes conditions that warrant closing or delaying don’t happen until the morning. In those situations, we will make the decision no later than 5 a.m. in order to stop buses from starting their routes, to notify media, and to communicate out to families. We also consult with neighboring districts when making our decision.
- Leave earlier. Don’t be in a rush.
- Wear bright color or reflective coats.
- Dress warmly and for wet weather.
- Wear shoes appropriate for the conditions
Thank you in advance for understanding our decision-making processes and for developing your own polan at home to stay safe in poor weather conditions.