2153 Non-curriculum-Related Student Groups
Pursuant to the Equal Access Act, the Board authorizes non-curriculum-related student groups to meet before, after school, or during non-instructional time, subject to the approval of the principal. Such approval shall be granted provided that activities of the group are not disruptive to school operations and the members of the group comply with the rules established by the superintendent and/or school principal. The Board authorizes the Superintendent to develop administrative procedures to create or maintain this "limited open forum."
The principal shall approve the non-curriculum-related student meeting or activity provided that:
- The meeting shall be voluntary and initiated by students.
- The school or its staff shall not be a sponsor of the group.
- The meeting shall not materially and substantially interfere with the orderly operation of the school.
- Students shall be responsible for the direction, control and conduct of the meeting. Guests must be registered and must not be regular participants.
- The use of public funds for other than incidental and/or monitoring costs shall not be permitted. Funds acquired by non-curriculum related student groups shall be held in an associated student body account which shall be accessible by that student group.
- A staff member shall not be compelled to attend when the meeting is contrary to their belief.
- The constitutional rights of all persons shall be respected.
The principal shall be responsible for the assignment of a room and for the approval and/or assignment of a staff member to monitor the meeting.
Board Policy 2150 Co-curricular Program
20 U.S.C. 4071-4074 Equal Access Act
Wash. Const. Art. I, § 25
Wash. Const. Art. IX, § 4
REVISED: 02/24/94; 09/25/97; 12/16/04
Procedure No. 2153P Non-curriculum-Related Student Groups
A group of students who wish to conduct a meeting on school premises during non-instructional time shall submit a request to the school principal at least five school-business days prior to the desired meeting date. The principal will grant or deny the request at least two school-business days prior to the scheduled date.
The application shall provide:
- The name of each student who is making the request,
- The name of the monitor of the proposed group (if any),
- A description of the proposed meeting along with its stated purpose,
- The name(s) and affiliations of nonstudents (if any) who will be invited,
- Statements that:
a. Students shall be voluntarily attending the meeting,
b. Any nonstudents shall not be directing, conducting, controlling or regularly attending future meetings and/or activities,
c. The monitor, if such is a religious group, shall not participate.
- The time and frequency of meetings for the proposed group.
REVISED: 02/24/94; 9/25/97
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT AND RESOURCES
2000 Student Learning Goals
2004 Accountability Goals
2005 School Improvement Plans
2019 Curriculum Development
2020 Course Design, Selection and Adoption of Instructional Materials
2021 Library Information and Technology Program
2022 Electronic Resources and Internet Safety
2023 Digital Citizenship and Media Literacy
2024 Online Learning
2025 Copyright Compliance
2027 District Ownership of Staff-Created Work
2029 Animals as Part of the Instructional Program
2030 Service Animals in Schools
2090 Program Evaluation
LEARNING PROGRAMS AND SUPPORTS
2100 Educational Opportunities for Military Children
2104 Federal and/or State Funded Special Instructional Programs
2106 Program Compliance
2107 Comprehensive Early Literacy Plan
2108 Learning Assistance Program
2110 Transitional Bilingual Instruction
2121 Substance Abuse Program
2125 Sexual Health Education
2126 AIDS Prevention Education
2140 Guidance and Counseling
2145 Recognition, Screening, and Response to Distress in Students
2150 Co-Curricular Program
2151 Interscholastic Athletics
2152 Extracurricular Activities
2153 Non-curriculum-Related Student Groups
2161 Special Education and Related Services for Eligible Students
2162 Education of Students with Disabilities under Section 504
2165 Home or Hospital Instruction
2170 Career and Technical Education
2178 Traffic Safety Education
2190 Advanced Academic Program
2195 Academic Acceleration
2220 School Calendar
2240 Summer School
2255 Alternative Learning Experience Programs
2320 Field Trips, Excursions and Outdoor Education
2331 Controversial Issues/Guest Speakers
2333 Flag Exercises
2336 Required Observances
2337 Disability History Month
2340 Religious-Related Activities and Practices
REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENTS
2409 Credit for Competency/Proficiency
2410 High School Graduation Requirements
2411 Certificate of Educational Competency
2412 Diplomas for Veterans
2413 Equivalency Credit for Career and Technical Education Courses
2414 Community Service
2418 Waiver of High School Graduation Credits
2420 Grading and Progress Reports