3510 Associated Student Bodies
An associated student body (ASB) will be formed in each school within the district whenever one or more students in that school engage in money-raising activities with the approval and at the direction or under the supervision of the district.
An ASB will be a formal organization of students, including sub-components or affiliated student groups. Each ASB will submit a constitution and bylaws to the board for approval. The constitution and bylaws will identify how student activities become approved as student body activities and establish standards for their supervision, governance and financing. Subject to such approval process, any lawful activity that promotes the educational, recreational or cultural growth of students as an optional extracurricular, co-curricular activity may be considered for recognition as an ASB activity. Any lawful fundraising practices that are consistent with the goals of the district and that do not bring disrespect to the district or its students may be acceptable methods and means for raising funds for student body activities. The board may act or delegate the authority to a staff member to act as the ASB for any school which contains no grade higher than grade six.
The school principal will designate a staff member as the primary advisor to the ASB and assure that all groups affiliated with the ASB have an advisor assigned to assist them. Advisors will have the authority and responsibility to intervene in any activities that are inconsistent with district policy, ASB standards, student safety or ordinarily accepted standards of behavior in the community. When in doubt, advisors will consult with the school principal regarding the propriety of proposed student activities. Student activities cannot include support or opposition to any political candidate or ballot measure.
Each ASB will prepare and submit annually a budget for the support of the ASB program to the board for approval. All property and money acquired by ASBs, except private nonassociated student body funds, will be district funds and will be deposited and disbursed from the district's ASB program fund.
Money acquired by ASB groups through fundraising and donations for scholarships, student exchanges and charitable purposes will be private nonassociated student body fund moneys.
Solicitation of funds for nonassociated student body fund purposes must be voluntary and must be accompanied by notice of the intended use of the proceeds and the fact that the district will hold the funds in trust for their intended purpose. Nonassociated student body fund moneys will be disbursed as determined by the group raising the money. Private nonassociated student body funds will be held in trust by the district for the purposes indicated during the fundraising activities until the student group doing the fund raising requests disbursement of the funds and the accounts of the fundraising are complete and reconciled.
The board may establish and collect a fee from students and nonstudents as a condition to their attendance at, or participation in, any optional noncredit extracurricular district event of a cultural, social, recreational, or athletic nature. If the board establishes such a fee or fees, the superintendent or designee will establish a procedure for waiving fees for students who are eligible to participate in the federal free or reduced-price meals program and for reducing fees for students’ family members and other nonstudents sixty-five or older who, by reason of their low income or unique circumstance, would have difficulty in paying the entire amount of such fees. Fees collected pursuant to this paragraph shall be deposited in the ASB program fund of the district.
Board Policy 2150 Co-Curricular Program
3515 Student Incentives
4200 Safe and Orderly Learning Environment
6020 System of Funds and Accounts
RCW 28A.325.010 Fees for optional noncredit extracurricular events – Disposition
RCW 28A.325.020 Associated student bodies – Powers and responsibilities affecting
RCW 28A.325.030 Associated student body program fund –Fundraising activities – Nonassociated student body program fund moneys
RCW 28A.325.050 Associated student body program fund – Publication of information on school district web site
WAC 392-138 Finance – Associated student body moneys
Management Resources: Policy & Legal News December 2014; August 2020
REVISED: 8/31/00; 12/14/00; 6/28/01; 12/16/04; 3/26/15; 12/17/20
Procedure No. 3510P Associated Student Bodies
The associated student bodies (ASBs) in the schools of the district will operate within the following guidelines:
- ASBs are mandatory whenever one or more students engage in money-raising activities with the approval and at the direction or under the supervision of the district. The school principal is designated to act as the ASB for K-6 school buildings.
- The board has authority over ASBs. ASBs are subject to the same laws as the district, including accounting procedures, budgets and warrants.
- The district will have an ASB program fund budget approved by the board.
- All ASB money is accounted for, spent, invested and budgeted the same way as other public money.
- Disbursements may be made either by warrant, imprest bank accounts, or procurement card, or petty cash funds.
- ASB purchases must comply with state bid procedure as outlined in the law and district bid requirements policy and procedure. Purchases of the same goods or services for more than one school must be considered together when establishing the purchase amount and applicability of bid requirements.
- All property acquired with ASB moneys becomes property of the school district.
- ASB groups may raise private nonassociated student body fund moneys through fundraising and donations for scholarships, student exchanges and charitable purposes. Such fundraising and donation solicitation will meet the requirements for other ASB fundraising and those requirements specific to nonassociated student body funds, including clear notice to all donors of the purpose of the fundraising. Students wishing to use district facilities to raise private nonassociated student body funds will comply with district policy and procedures regarding community use of school facilities. For handling the accounting for complex fundraising programs for private nonassociated student body fund money, the district will withhold or otherwise be compensated an amount adequate to reimburse the district for its direct costs.
- Purposes that directly further or support the school district's program - both co-curricular, extracurricular are suitable use for ASB funds, if the activities are optional for students.
- ASB funds may not be used for gifts or recognition to individuals for private benefit. Private nonassociated student body funds may be raised for scholarships, student exchanges and charitable purposes, pursuant to district policy and procedure.
Waiver or Reduction of Fees
For a student to have a fee waived or reduced, the student or the student’s parent or guardian shall request a waiver or reduction at the school. Free and reduced-price meal students will automatically qualify for a waiver. In making a determination to reduce a fee, the principal will consider the student’s unique circumstances in making a decision.
Website Publication of Program Fund Information
The district will publish the following ASB program fund information on its website:
- The fund balance at the beginning of the school year;
- Summary data about expenditures and revenues occurring over the course of the school year; and
- The fund balance at the end of the school year.
The information will be published for each ASB of the district and each account within the ASB program fund. If the district website contains separate websites for schools in the district, the information will be published on the website of the applicable school of the ASB. The district will add updated annual information to its website by each August 31st, except that the district is only required to maintain the information on its website from the previous five years.
REVISED: 08/31/00; 06/28/01; 11/20/01; 12/16/04; 12/17/20
QUALIFICATIONS OF ATTENDANCE AND PLACEMENT
3110 Admission and Attendance
3114 Part-time, Home-based, or Off-Campus Students
3115 Homeless Students: Enrollment Rights and Services
3116 Students in Foster Care
3122 Excused and Unexcused Absences
3123 Withdrawal Prior to Graduation
3124 Removal of Student during School Hours
3125 Release of Student during School Day
3126 Child Custody
3131 District Attendance Area Transfers
3140 Release of Resident Students
3141 Nonresident Students
3142 International Exchange Students
3143 District Notification of Juvenile Offenders
STUDENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
3200 Student Rights and Responsibilities
3205 Sexual Harassment of Students Prohibited
3207 Prohibition of Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying
3211 Gender-Inclusive Schools
3220 Freedom of Expression
3223 Freedom of Assembly
3224 Student Dress
3225 School-Based Threat Assessment
3226 Interviews and Interrogations of Students on School Premises
3230 Student Privacy and Searches
3231 Students Records
3232 Parent and Student Rights in Administration of Surveys Analysis or Evaluations
3235 Protection of Student Personal Information
3240 Student Conduct Expectations and Reasonable Sanctions
3241 Student Discipline
3242 Closed Campus
3243 Student Driving
3244 Prohibition of Corporal Punishment
3245 Students and Telecommunication Devices
3246 Use of Isolation, Restraint and Other Uses of Reasonable Force
3410 Student Health
3412 Automated External Defibrillators (AED)
3413 Student Immunization and Life Threatening Conditions
3414 Infectious Diseases
3415 Accommodating Students with Diabetes
3416 Medication at School
3418 Response to Student Injury or Illness
3419 Self-Administration of Asthma and Anaphylaxis Medications
3420 Anaphylaxis Prevention and Response
3421 Child Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation Prevention
3422 Student Sports – Concussion, Head Injury and Sudden Cardiac Arrest
3510 Associated Student Bodies
3515 Student Incentives
3520 Student Fees, Fines, Charges
3530 Student Fund Raising Activities Involving Students