3141 Nonresident Students

  • Consistent with Chapter 28A.225 RCW, any student who resides outside the district may apply to attend a school in the district or file the parental declaration of the intent to provide home-based instruction and enroll for ancillary services, if any. All applications for nonresident attendance or home-based instruction will be considered on an equal basis.  The district will accept nonresident students into classrooms that have vacancies, and that by accepting nonresident students it does not increase class size above district-determined limits and constitute a financial hardship for the district. 

    The district annually will inform parents of the interdistrict enrollment options and parental involvement opportunities. Information on interdistrict acceptance policies will be provided to nonresidents on request. Providing online access to the information satisfies the requirements of this policy unless a parent or guardian specifically requests information to be provided in written form. The district will not charge any transfer fees or tuition costs for enrolling eligible nonresident students.  

    A parent or guardian will apply for admission on behalf of their child by completing the appropriate district application. The superintendent will develop an application form which contains information including, but not limited to, the current legal residence of the child and the school district in which they are currently enrolled or receiving home-based instruction, the basis for requesting release from the resident district and the specific building and grade level (elementary) or course offerings (secondary) in which the student desires to be enrolled if accepted by the district.

    A student who resides in a district that does not operate a secondary program will be permitted to enroll in secondary schools in this district in accordance with state law and regulation relating to the financial responsibility of the resident district.

    Standards for accepting or rejecting an application

    The superintendent will accept or reject an application for nonresident admission based upon the following standards:
    1. Whether acceptance of a nonresident student would result in the district experiencing significant financial hardship (“financial hardship” does not include routine programmatic costs associated with serving additional disabled or non-disabled students);

    2. Whether the grade level or classes at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled has the capacity for additional students;

    3. Whether appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the student's condition as stated in requesting release from their district of residence;

    4. Whether the student’s disciplinary records or other documentation indicate a history of violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership (a gang means a group of three or more persons with identifiable leadership that on an ongoing basis regularly conspires and acts in concert mainly for criminal purposes).

    5. Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the district’s policy for readmission and reengagement of suspended or expelled students; and

    6. Whether enrollment of a nonresident student would conflict with a district innovation academy cooperative under RCW 28A.340.080.

    Admission or denial: Notice of decision and appeal of decision

    The superintendent in a timely manner will provide all applicants with written notification of the approval or denial of a nonresident student’s enrollment application. If the student is to be admitted, the superintendent/designee will notify the resident district and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records.

    If the application is denied, the superintendent will notify the parent or guardian of the reason(s) for denial and the right to petition the board of directors, upon five school business day’s prior notice, for review of the decision and to have a hearing before the board at its next regular meeting. Following the hearing by the board, a final decision will be promptly communicated to the parent in writing.

    The final decision of the district to deny the admission of a nonresident student may be appealed to the Superintendent of Public Instruction or their designee pursuant to the process detailed in RCW 28A.225.230(3).

    Children of full-time employees

    A.  Pursuant to RCW 28A.225.225, a nonresident student who is the child of a full-time certificated or classified employee will be permitted to enroll

         1.  At the school to which the employee is assigned;

         2.  At a school forming the district’s kindergarten through twelfth grade continuum which includes the school to which the employee is assigned; or

         3.  At a school in the district that provides early intervention services pursuant to RCW 28A.155.065 and/or preschool services pursuant to RCW 28A.155.070, if the student is eligible for such services.

    B.  The district may reject the application of a student who is the child of a full-time employee if:

         1.  Disciplinary records or other evidence supports a conclusion that the student has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership; or

         2.  The student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days (however, the district’s policies for allowing readmission of expelled or suspended students and the required reengagement procedures under this rule must apply uniformly to both resident and nonresident applicants seeking admission, pursuant to RCW 28A.225.225(2)(b)); or

         3.  Enrollment of the nonresident child would displace a child who is a resident of the district.

    C.  If a nonresident student is the child of a full-time employee and has been enrolled under Section A above, the student must be permitted to remain enrolled at the same school or in the district’s kindergarten through twelfth grade continuum until:

         1.  The student completes their schooling; or

         2.  The student has repeatedly failed to comply with requirements for participation in an online school program, such as participating in weekly direct contact with the teacher or monthly progress evaluations.

    Cross References: 
    Board Policy 3120        Enrollment

    Legal References:       
    RCW 28A.225.220         Adults, children from other districts, agreements for attending school - Tuition
    RCW 28A.225.225         Applications from nonresident students or students receiving home-based instruction to attend district school - Acceptance and rejection standards - Notification
    RCW 28A.225.240         Apportionment of credit
    RCW 28A.225.290         Enrollment options information booklet
    RCW 28A.225.300         Enrollment options information to parents
    WAC 392-137                  Finance - Non resident attendance

    Management Resources: 
    Policy & Legal News    Sept. 1999; June 2003; Oct. 2015

    ADOPTED: 08/26/1999
    REVISED: 4/27/00; 6/28/01; 11/25/03; 1/12/06; 6/07/07; 12/17/15

    Procedure No. 3141P Nonresident Students

    1. Nonresident students who wish to enroll in Yelm Schools must first obtain a signed release from their resident district.

    2. The parents/guardians shall present their request for a nonresident student to attend one of Yelm’s schools to Yelm Community Schools’ district office. After providing the signed release form obtained from the resident school district, the parents/guardians will be directed to the school they wish their child to attend. If appropriate the Principal or Counselor at that school will meet with the student and parents to determine the student's educational needs and whether or not there is space available in those programs. 

    3. Parents/guardians who present their transfer request to the district by March 15 will be informed of the district’s decision by April 30. Those received after March 15 will be informed as soon as practical.

    4. The Principal or Counselor shall review the student's records and history to determine the student's program needs. If the review is inconclusive, the Principal or Counselor shall arrange appropriate testing before making a placement recommendation.

    5. The Principal or Counselor shall complete the transfer information form and forward it to the Superintendent's Office for action.

    6. Transfers should only be recommended in cases where space is available to meet the student's educational needs.

    7. Transfers will be effective for only one academic year. Those interested in renewal must apply each year.

    ADOPTED:  05/26/1994
    REVISED: 01/12/06

3000 Policies