3120 Enrollment

  • The superintendent will develop procedures for enrolling students, recording attendance behavior and counseling and correcting students with attendance problems.  When enrolling a student who has attended school in another school district, the parent and student will be required to briefly indicate in writing whether or not the student has:

    • Any history of placement in a special education program;

    • Any past, current or pending disciplinary actions;

    • Any history of violent behavior or convictions, adjudications or diversion agreements related to a violent offense, a sex offense, inhaling toxic fumes, a drug offense, a liquor violation, assault, kidnapping, harassment, stalking or arson;

    • Any unpaid fines or fees from other schools; and

    • Any health conditions affecting the student’s educational needs.

    If the district receives information that a student has a history of disciplinary actions, criminal or violent behavior, or other behavior that indicates the student could be a threat to the safety of staff or students, the student's teachers and building security personnel will be informed.

    A district may require students or their parents to provide proof of residency within the district, such as copies of phone and water bills or lease agreements. The school district will not require proof of residency or any other information regarding an address for any student who is eligible by reason of age for the services of the district if the student does not have a legal residence. A district will not inquire into a student’s citizenship or immigration status or that of their parents or guardians.  The request for enrollment may be made by the student, parent or guardian.

    Since accurate enrollment and attendance records are essential both to obtain state financial reimbursement and to fulfill the district's responsibilities under the attendance laws, the district will be diligent in maintaining such records.

    Cross Reference:
    Board Policy 2255        Alternative Learning Experience Programs

    Legal References:  
    RCW 28A.225.215         Enrollment of children without legal residences
    RCW 28A.225.330         Enrolling students from other districts – Requests for information and records ­– Withheld transcripts – Immunity from liability – Notification to teachers and security personnel
    WAC 392-121-108         Definitions – Enrollment exclusions
    WAC 392-121-122         Definitions – Full-time equivalent students
    WAC 392-121-182         Alternative learning experience requirements
    WAC 392-169-022         Running Start Student – Definition

    ADOPTED:  10/23/97
    REVISED: 10/22/98; 02/25/99; 08/26/99; 11/22/11

    Procedure No. 3120P Enrollment

    Enrollment and attendance records will be maintained in each school building. At the conclusion of the year, the enrollment and attendance information will be recorded on the student's permanent record card.

    The attendance registers will remain in the school building for a period of 5 years, after which time they will be sent to the district office to be destroyed.

    Annually, each school will report to the district actions taken to reduce any student’s absenteeism following the student’s fifth absence in one month, or tenth absence in one year.  The district will report this information annually to the Superintendent of Public Instruction:

    1. The number of enrolled students and the number of unexcused absences;

    2. The number of enrolled students with ten or more unexcused absences in a school year or five or more unexcused absences in a month;

    3. A description of any programs or schools developed to serve students who have had five or more absences in a month or ten in a year including information about the number of students in the program or school and the number of unexcused absences of students during and after participation in the program. The reports will also describe any placements in an approved private nonsectarian school or program or certified program under a court order;

    4. The number of petitions filed by a school or a parent with the juvenile courts; and

    The information in these reports will not disclose the names or other identification of the students or parents.

    For purposes of enrollment count, a "full-time equivalent student" will be:

    Grade K:  20 hours or more per week or four hours or more for 90 scheduled days or 10 hours or more per week or two hours or more for 180 scheduled days.

    Grade 1-3:  20 hours or more per week or four hours or more for 180 scheduled days.

    Grade 4-10:  25 hours or more per week or five hours or more for 180 scheduled days.

    Grade 11-12:  25 hours or more per week or five hours or more for 180 scheduled days; the equivalent in a combination of high school, community college and/or vocational-technical institute courses; or the equivalent in an alternative school program.

    Alternative Learning Experiences: Full-time equivalency will be determined by documentation of all hours of learning activities pursuant to WAC 392-121-182.

    Normal class change passing time may be counted as part of this requirement. Noon intermission, however, is excluded.

    No student may be counted on any school's or program's enrollment report who has been absent from school for more than twenty consecutive school days until attendance is resumed. No part-time student who has not attended school at least once within a period of twenty consecutive school days may be counted as an enrolled student until attendance is resumed.  School days are defined as regularly scheduled instructional days for the general population of the school or district the student is enrolled in, regardless of the student’s individualized schedule.

    Procedures for handling excused and unexcused absences are defined in 3122P, Excused and Unexcused Absences.

    ADOPTED:  07/23/1996
    REVISED: 10/22/98; 02/25/99; 11/22/11; 5/28/15


3000 Policies