4120 School-Support Organizations

  • The Board of Education encourages the formation of a parent-teacher-student association at each school building for the purpose of providing an opportunity through which parents, teachers and students may unite their efforts and interests to enhance the school program. In schools where no such organization exists, another parent group can be recognized by the school principal as the official body through which parents, staff and students may unite their efforts for similar purposes.

    Booster clubs and/or special interest organizations may be formed to support and strengthen specific activities conducted within the school or district. All such groups must receive the approval of the school principal or Superintendent in order to be recognized as a booster organization. Staff participation, cooperation and support are encouraged in such recognized organizations.

    Legal References:
    RCW 9.46.0321                        Bingo raffles, amusement games-No license required, when.

    Management Resources: 
    Policy and Legal News        July 2017

    ADOPTED:  10/22/1992
    REVISED: 11/24/98; 5/10/18

    Procedure No. 4120P School-Support Organizations

     The following guidelines are provided for use by booster and/or PTSA groups which are involved in money‑raising activities:

    1. Local booster clubs and PTAs should be incorporated as nonprofit organizations.
    2. In order to receive nonprofit status, the group must file articles of incorporation and bylaws with the Secretary of State. A nonprofit organization must adhere to state laws [RCW 24.03].
    3. The Board of Directors of the school district has established a fee schedule that governs the use of facilities by a school‑support organization (Policy 4330).
    4. The nonprofit organization must operate without cost to the district.
    5. The Washington State Gambling Commission, the Department of Licensing and the Internal Revenue Service have licensing regulations covering fund raising activities by nonprofit corporations.

      1.  A nonprofit corporation may conduct sales or benefit affairs which include athletic or sports events, bazaars, benefits, campaigns, circuses, contests, dances, drives, entertainments, exhibitions, expositions, parties, performances, picnics, sales, social gatherings, theaters, and variety shows.
      2.  A nonprofit corporation may operate bingo activities, raffles, and amusement games under requirements regulated by the Washington State Gambling Commission [RCW 9.46].
      3.  A charitable organization involved in sales and benefits grossing over $5,000 must obtain IRS recognition.

    6. When bingo, raffles, and amusement games are conducted, the State Gambling Act controls the endeavor. Certain gambling activities may be conducted by nonprofit organizations without a gambling permit under certain conditions. To operate without a gambling permit, a nonprofit must be recognized by the IRS and/or contributions to the group must be considered tax deductible. In addition, the nonprofit must have been organized and operating for at least 12 months before operating the gambling activity, and be able to prove that it has made significant progress towards accomplishing its stated purposes during the 12 consecutive months before operating the gambling activity.

    ADOPTED:  10/22/1992
    REVISED: 11/24/98; 01/12/06; 5/10/2018