What is it?
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Act provides services to students who are experiencing homelessness. The purpose of McKinney-Vento is to provide homeless students with school stability, school access, and support for academic success.
Who is it for?
Students eligible for McKinney-Vento services lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This includes students who are:
- sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reasons
- students who are living in hotels, motels, trailer parks, or campgrounds due to a lack of adequate alternative accommodations
- living in emergency or transitional shelters
- abandoned in hospitals
- awaiting foster care placement
- living in a public or private place not designed for humans to live
- living in cars, parks, abandoned buildings, bus or train stations, etc.
- migratory children living in the above circumstances
How Yelm Supports Its Homeless Youth
- Our school’s counselors complete the McKinney Vento Intake Process to best support our homeless youth. School counselors help navigate situations and provide the needed support for students.
- Our district frequently reviews and revises policies to break down barriers students and families may face.
- With community and district support, resources such as food, hygiene kits, shoes, clothing, and other necessities are provided for students.
- Transportation services are provided when needed.
Who do I contact for more information?
Contact your school counselor or the district homeless liaison at 360.458.6124 if you have or are a student who is currently homeless. Please complete the Housing Questionnaire (English) (Spanish) and submit to your school.
If you are experiencing housing instability or homelessness over the summer and need assistance or have questions about your McKinney Vento eligibility or services provided, please reach out to your McKinney Vento Building Liaison (your child's School Counselor) upon their return from summer break or the district McKinney Vento District Liaison at 360.458.6124 on or after July 31.
Links for Housing Assistance and Resources: