Yelm Community Schools uses Direct Instruction in Title 1
Reading Mastery and Corrective Reading
Always have your child track with a pointer finger, bookmark or a pencil.
If your child is reading in the Kinder book which is red then......
Tips for helping your child read with the Kinder Reading Mastery Book All students in Kinder and some in 1st grade
1. Have your child sound out a word if they read a word wrong.
2. When sounding out a word, have your child sing the word without stopping between the sounds.
3. After your child has sounded out and read the word correctly, have them go back to the beginning of the sentence.
If your child is reading in the 1st grade book which is orange then......
Tips for helping your child read with the 1st grade Reading Mastery Book and up. Most 1st grade and up will use this.
1. If your child has trouble reading a word, give them 3 seconds before telling them the word.
2. After you tell your child the word have them repeat it back to you.
3. Once they have repeated the word correctly, have them go back to the beginning of the sentence.
Please ask the classroom teacher or Title 1 Teacher if you are unclear which book your child is in. We will be glad to help with any questions.